Gila at Arundel hotel

Gila at Arundel hotel
Visit with Mercedes

Thursday 10 March 2011

Lenten days

My dear Friends
I had a bright idea about Shrove Tuesday. By the way 'shrove' comes from the word 'to be shriven'-that is to make a confession before Lent. Anyway about the pancakes-I went to the cinema with a friend where they make lovely crepes at the bar. So I ate my sweet things up before Lent.
Many years ago, when I had just become a Catholic, I told Fr Brendan, my Irish spiritual director, that I was giving up smoking for Lent. 'I absolutely forbid you,' he said. 'It will put you under too much stress.' So ever since then I have never given up anything for Lent, just tried to do more, love more, try to do good deeds, read the Bible more and pray more. It takes a little time to discern.

Yesterday I had a good Ash Wednesday. Went to Mass in the Catholic school and Fr Pat anointed all our foreheads with ash procured from burning the previous Easter's crosses. 'Repent and believe the Gospel' he said as he put it on. I fasted but only for about ten hours and prayed then went into the town to Pizza Express and had a good meal.

More later
Shalom from
Sister Gila

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Temptation is never far away!!! B