Gila at Arundel hotel

Gila at Arundel hotel
Visit with Mercedes

Sunday 26 October 2014

After the Launch

My very dear Friends

Last Sunday, the 19th of October, was a real milestone in my life.Forty of my friends, whom I have known over the last 32 years in Cambridge, gathered in the lovely Lucy Cavendish College to help me launch my new little book and the second part of my autobiography. It is called  Where the Woods meet the Water, which, as I told you in a previous blog entry, is the apparently real meaning of Toronto in one of the Native Canadians languages.

Canada has been in the news lately and I feel it is quite timely to publish a book which is dedicated to the cause of Peace and Reconciliation, a cause which I have devoted my life to, especially in the last fifteen years. All this and more in the book.

At the launch I talked about 6 or 7 periods in my life which have been important stepping stones along the way. For example the mystical experience which started the whole enterprise of The Little Sisters of Joy off. To illustrate this and other episodes, I sang from my repertoire of sixties, Jewish and folk song and encouraging the gathering to sing too-which they did , straight from the heart, together and with some lovely individual voices ringing out-it was very moving for me and I hope them too.

The first piece was Last night I had the strangest dream-composed by Ed McCurdy, the father of modern folk music and the forerunner of Bob Dylan and the like. Founding a community for Peace and Reconciliation seemed like a tall order and sometimes the road still seems hard-enough work to last me a lifetime and beyond.

The Hebrew pieces went down well and I talked about Risa Domb, my modern Hebrew teacher, who passed away in January 2007 and in whose memory I gave a Concert for Peace and Reconciliation in Robinson college, a venue I returned to last November and to which I hope to return to do another concert this coming Spring.

After the presentation, Lucy Cavendish served tea and coffee, we had the run of the garden, and I sold and signed my books!

Next time I will post some photos of the Book launch on the Blog.

Shalom from Gila

The book is available from me
margogila61@gmail.com

or now from Heffers Bookshop in Cambridge or in a couple of weeks time also from
Waterstones in Cambridge. Price £10

No comments: